R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Well, here's something interesting about der Schweiz...women didn't get the vote here until the 1970s (!). It shows too. Women in the workplace - well, it's still new enough that even the middle-aged guys have a struggle with it sometimes. I thought I'd encountered sexism in the US...but I have seen a whole new level of it. It's highly annoying I must say, but it's hardly going to turn me into a Swiss hausfrau anytime soon.
And it must be said - please forgive me ahead of time - but there are body odor issues in Europe. I'm sorry, but it's true. I dont' think it's to do with problematic personal hygiene, however - but more, I'm convinced, because it's quite humid here and people are more active, walking a lot, taking the stairs, etc. Combined with distinct lack of Arrid Extra Dry, this results in the body having its way, and there it is. And it has to be pointed out that American-style sitting on your butt in your office, house, car, etc., with lots of high-powered US style AC, well, of course the Arrid Extra Dry need hardly lift a finger to work in the states, where here - if used (perhaps it is?) - it would be put to much more demanding tests. :-) At any rate, it's surprising how quickly you become used to it, so it's not much of an issue - more just an observation.
Other European stereotypes that have borne out - yes, there is no ice. No ice. Period. If you ask, you may receive one small cube, possibly two, but nothing more. Even McDonald's here gives you a drink with just a very small amount of ice. It's a trip - is ice some sort of environmentally incorrect item? They are refrigerating and freezing things here anyhow - why not throw some water in the freezer? Alas, we are getting used to this too. If a drink is cold-ish, I enjoy that it's not room temperature and call it good. I have two cases each of Coke Light and mineral water (ordered for me by the admin of my group) sitting in my office - apparently I'm just supposed to drink room temperature (side note: which is often quite warm due to the placebo air conditioning they have here) diet Coke and "water with gas" (ie, sparkling). I can't fetch a glass of ice from somewhere and pour it over, so the supplies are going to last a while.
Air conditioning is another thing they don't use here (what is this obsession with avoiding things that are cold?), or, when they do, it's highly ineffective. People have AC in their cars and never use it, even on very hot days. Even with the price of gas here (I'll get back to you on this), I sometimes would kill for a really cold blast of AC on a hot day. I have "AC" in my office, but turned all the way up, I can't tell a difference between when it's on and when it's off - thus, I refer to it as placebo AC, which isn't that unlikely at a drug company, when you think about it.
None of the above should be construed as interfering with our enjoyment of Basel whatsoever. We are loving it here, and enjoying these cultural differences that are sometimes slightly uncomfortable to us and what we are used to. Vive la difference, n'est-ce pas?
Let me just state that we don't miss traffic at all, are getting used to fetching groceries frequently and on foot, and wish there was a Taco Bell here (okay, only Diana does - but there is a distinct lack of anything spicy here, so of course I am craving hot food of any kind - making do with pizza [very yummy here] with chilies/olive oil they provide as a condiment if you request it...and I do).
Next week, Diana goes to Prague for the European Gastroentological Congress. Should be good fun - tune it later for details.
And it must be said - please forgive me ahead of time - but there are body odor issues in Europe. I'm sorry, but it's true. I dont' think it's to do with problematic personal hygiene, however - but more, I'm convinced, because it's quite humid here and people are more active, walking a lot, taking the stairs, etc. Combined with distinct lack of Arrid Extra Dry, this results in the body having its way, and there it is. And it has to be pointed out that American-style sitting on your butt in your office, house, car, etc., with lots of high-powered US style AC, well, of course the Arrid Extra Dry need hardly lift a finger to work in the states, where here - if used (perhaps it is?) - it would be put to much more demanding tests. :-) At any rate, it's surprising how quickly you become used to it, so it's not much of an issue - more just an observation.
Other European stereotypes that have borne out - yes, there is no ice. No ice. Period. If you ask, you may receive one small cube, possibly two, but nothing more. Even McDonald's here gives you a drink with just a very small amount of ice. It's a trip - is ice some sort of environmentally incorrect item? They are refrigerating and freezing things here anyhow - why not throw some water in the freezer? Alas, we are getting used to this too. If a drink is cold-ish, I enjoy that it's not room temperature and call it good. I have two cases each of Coke Light and mineral water (ordered for me by the admin of my group) sitting in my office - apparently I'm just supposed to drink room temperature (side note: which is often quite warm due to the placebo air conditioning they have here) diet Coke and "water with gas" (ie, sparkling). I can't fetch a glass of ice from somewhere and pour it over, so the supplies are going to last a while.
Air conditioning is another thing they don't use here (what is this obsession with avoiding things that are cold?), or, when they do, it's highly ineffective. People have AC in their cars and never use it, even on very hot days. Even with the price of gas here (I'll get back to you on this), I sometimes would kill for a really cold blast of AC on a hot day. I have "AC" in my office, but turned all the way up, I can't tell a difference between when it's on and when it's off - thus, I refer to it as placebo AC, which isn't that unlikely at a drug company, when you think about it.
None of the above should be construed as interfering with our enjoyment of Basel whatsoever. We are loving it here, and enjoying these cultural differences that are sometimes slightly uncomfortable to us and what we are used to. Vive la difference, n'est-ce pas?
Let me just state that we don't miss traffic at all, are getting used to fetching groceries frequently and on foot, and wish there was a Taco Bell here (okay, only Diana does - but there is a distinct lack of anything spicy here, so of course I am craving hot food of any kind - making do with pizza [very yummy here] with chilies/olive oil they provide as a condiment if you request it...and I do).
Next week, Diana goes to Prague for the European Gastroentological Congress. Should be good fun - tune it later for details.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home