Do you prefer 'em baked, fried...or smoked?
So one day I'm just working away at my desk, and Scott sends me this photo he took at the grocery store - a nice, high-end grocery store here in the lovely Basel. First of all, how great is it that I can be at work and Scott is off doing lovely things like shopping for our household?? Awesome... And secondly, uh, CRACK STICKS?? I got some nice chuckles out of this one. I mean, you very occasionally get some funny translations here, but it's not like we live in Japan and get Engrish happening all the time. So a diverting bit of humor that day.
Then, a couple of weeks later, Scott and I went to Interlaken to spend the day with some friends. Well, actually, Scott and his friend went skiing just up the mountain, and me and my friend spent the day browsing around Interlaken, and sitting in outdoor cafes and terraces enjoying the view. But then we had to go to the little local Coop to get some dog food before they closed (it was just a few minutes until closing time, so it was time for last-minute items, and was a Coop Pronto - so a small convenience-type store with 'longer' opening hours). So both checkout lines are about five people deep, and this woman is frantically trying to cut in line (believe me, I can tell now) in the special passive local way...and her emergency purchase? A big old box of Crack Sticks.
Clearly she was jonesing...
6 Comments:
Di-
I really loved this post! Kitschy with photos, just my type. All my years in Asia really gave me an education in Engrish, and I must say that progressive South Korea was the worst offender, mostly because they tried the hardest. I have some great scrapbook pages all about Engrish finds. More posts like this please!! Plus, i've actually even been to Interlaken...
Have you run across Filipinos biscuits made by Nabisco Spain? Pretty yummy if I say so myself.
I like snorting my crack, so apparently visiting Switzerland would pose a huge problem for me, given my dependency. I mean, wouldn't the crack sticks defrost and go mushy before you could finish pulverizing them into pieces small enough to inhale? Oh the hazards of travel...
Have you read "Here Speeching American"? It's a hoot!
I love translations that go awry. And the best part (or the worst) is when you try to explain them to your foreign hosts. The comprehension level is nil, so it's best to just leave it be and laugh all the way down the frozen food aisle to the check out lane.
Of course, the same is true in the opposite direction. I remember a missionary in my district in Linz, Austria, who was trying to explain to a member his efforts to iron his shirt. While making motions like he was ironing, he earnestly said, "Mein Hemd war... um... gecrinkelt." Schoen!
P.S. This was the same missionary who invented the word "Wunderherrlich" and often used it to the bemusement of many an Austrian. Can't remember his name, but his "command" of the language was hilarious.
Who knew that crack comes breaded? I will eat ANYTHING that is breaded. A serious addiction may be in my future....
Post a Comment
<< Home