05 February 2007

Still kickin

So I survived my surgery, and am thus far surviving my recuperation. My guts hurt, and my belly button hurts, which is just beyond annoying. They don't give good drugs here, and what they do give, they seem to have a fondness for administering in suppository form. After a couple of days, they seemed to expect me to administer suppositories to myself. Huh?!? I wouldn't even know where to start - well, I mean I'd have a notion mentally, but physically? I'm not sure I could manage that when I could barely stand up. There's an obvious joke here about how anal these people are and their tell-tale love of rectally administered drugs, but I'll forego. Anyhow, I'm exhausted and cranky a lot, which is really not much different than normal.

'Round here, we're not foodies, per se, nor are we food photographers (clearly). However, I just had to take a picture of this meal, which is a lovely peppercorn-crusted filet, in a lovely bath of port wine reduction, accompanied by steamed spears of the cutest little asparagus you ever did see. And damn, was this meal GOOD. See, Scott is becoming quite the chef around here - plus he is taking really good care of me whilst I recuperate from my surgery. This meal was something he put together the night after I got home. What a guy, huh? :-)


A couple of other random photos. We get sunlight in our apartment for a few hours during the day in winters. Our dogs (and cat) are heat-seekers, so they find any patch of sunlight and lie in it. Here are the two cutest dogs ever, enjoying a few afternoon rays.


Finally, Fasnacht season approaches once more. There are some things that kick it off, although I'm not familiar with them all. But this creature, called, roughly, a Vogel Gryyffe, is followed around town and across the medieval bridge, or something. I don't know, I was in hospital - Scott went on this little trek.


Anyhow, as per usual, we'll head out of town for most of Fasnacht, and go to Murren. :-)

10 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ellen said...

I had to look really closely at that last picture before I realized those were talons/hands/gloves. They looked like something far naughtier.

Glad to hear you're on the mend and away from suppository-weilding nurses.

The meal looks fabulous! Compliments to the chef. When Mike cooks, it's pizza or ramen noodles with frozen vegetables stirred in.

05 February, 2007 19:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Scott, YOU DA MAN!

Phooey, Di, this is a tragic tale of misplaced pharmaceuticals. Glad I had a baby here in 'merica where they believe in mainlining drugs in the hospital. Just put the good stuff in my spine!

And by the way, how Euro are you, now that you get to say "in hospital" instead of "in the hospital."

Love to the wee doggies.

06 February, 2007 05:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, steeeeeaaaak. Nothing like a big slab o' red meat, nice and pink in the middle, to make a gal feel more like facing the world.

And ME, you are a naughty girl, but of course you are completely right--those appendages are beyond phallic.

06 February, 2007 05:59  
Blogger Swizzies said...

Hello all.

I hadn't noticed the phallic talon thingies, but ahem. I see your point.

Scott is awesome - last night he made us chicken satay skewers (ie, not frozen or anything) and fresh cauliflower cooked perfectly. Yum. I'm getting spoiled AND fat(ter).

Adriana, I am dismayed by my overall screwed up English skills now. Although I work at a company where English is the lingua franca, people from the UK and other former empire locations outnumber Americans approximately eight to one (not to mention the fact that euros and Indians and east Asians and etc usually learn the Queen's English, not American-style). So I have become a schizophrenic sorta-british-english speaker, despite living in a german-speaking country. I recently wrote a powerpoint deck and didn't notice that I'd spelled organisation with an "S" twice and with a "Z" twice...in the same document.

Oy. If only I had some drugs to take away the pain. My belly button area HURTS! That can make you cranky, trust me. I don't know why I thought it was just the incision that would hurt. Sigh.

06 February, 2007 11:11  
Blogger Heather Richardson said...

Oh Di I hope you feel better soon! I'd be curious to hear more about your foreign hospital experience, and compare it with the experience of giving birth (c-section style) in Thailand. Actually I was pretty much treated like a queen during my stay there by the staff - and by my family - like you, one of the best things about my stay was the food provided by Peter - no, he couldn't cook a thing but he was at my beck and call to all of the yummy restaurants, mostly middle eastern and indian, surrounding the hospital in downtown Bangkok. Lots of takeout. And just as good was the birth of Jedidiah here in So Cal - the hospital was right across the street from a Ruby's Diner and an In-n-Out. yeee-umm! Again, I hope you feel better soon!!!!

06 February, 2007 17:46  
Blogger Heather Richardson said...

p.s forgot to mention how delicious the steak looks and how adorable your dogs are! also, I'm sure I could have looked at that last picture for days and not have made the finger/phallis connection. but, that probably doesn't surprise you.

06 February, 2007 23:02  
Blogger Janet Kincaid said...

Di: I still can't get over the fact that the hospital/the doctors have undermedicated you. It's just insane!

I second ME's comment about the talons. Although, like JA, I had to go back and look again.

Lara and I decided this weekend that Scott needs to be cloned. He's just the bestest guy in the whole wide universe! Glad to hear he's spoiling you.

Have fun in Murren. Send a postcard! You know how I love those. (Speaking of which, I have one hear for you. I just have to buy a bloody stamp for the thing!)

08 February, 2007 02:17  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

As we used to say at the Daily Universe copy desk, "We think dirty so you don't have to."

08 February, 2007 18:30  
Blogger Strollerblader said...

ahem, ya, those talons and their placement in that photo make him look like he's been blessed several times over...

And *Di* doesn't have enough medication?!? What happened to your personal purse pharmacy? Eewww suppositories! How fun for you to add to the overall body violation that was your surgery.

That portrait of the dogs is great! You should get an enlargement and put it next to your photo in the hall.

The meals look and sound wonderful, Scott! MMmmmm. Speaking of gourmet food, of course we'll plan on accompanying you guys to Taco Bell when you're here this summer.

10 February, 2007 04:44  
Blogger Blue Cheese said...

Man, Di! If I would have known about the drug situation I would have "stuffed" some in the care package -- I could have given the twinkies a demerol suppository.

I am impressed with Gibby's culinary skills, as always. Although this looks a little different from the delicious loose-meat-not-sloppy-Joe-Ohio-sandwich he makes.

I wish I were there curled up with the kids!

22 February, 2007 15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home