13 June 2008

London calling

A couple of weeks ago (okay, like five weeks ago now), we hopped over to London for a long weekend with Carmen (at her place in London) and Liz and Martyn (who came down from Birmingham to join the festivities). Here's Liz and Martyn in the Tube, and it kind of turned out a bit like American Gothic on the Underground, but that's cause Scott didn't give enough warning. Still, a cute picture...


We've been to London before, of course, but this time we wanted to be more touristy than we'd done in the past. So we did a number of things that are standard-issue Londony things, but we hadn't gotten around to before.

We went to the Imperial War Museum and saw a special exhibit on James Bond 007/Ian Fleming, which was quite interesting and detailed, though full of lots of people and children. We also saw a whole Holocaust exhibit, which was emotionally exhausting. And looked at a load of old tanks and guns and stuff. Whatev. Scott loved it. ;-) Actually, the best thing about that museum visit, for me, was that I learned that Ian Fleming was in his 40s before he ever even thought up the notion of James Bond or wrote a book at all. So he's one of those later-life success stories that keeps slim hope alive.

Here's a photo of Scott in front of the museum, if you squint he's in blue in the foreground. With funky sunglasses on.


We also took another Thames River boat trip -- we love these and do them in any and every city they're available, along with those double-decker bus tours. We're cheesy and we're totally comfortable with that. It was kind of a grey crappy day, though, so none of the photos turned out very well. Here's one picture from the river, and this is the HMS Belfast, which is also part of the Imperial War Museum, a retired battleship you can tour. Scott wanted to go there, but we didn't end up having time. So he only got to see the outside.


After the river, we saw that the lines were short for the London Eye, so we made a quick detour there and saw the views. For those of you always wanting pictures with faces in, here's me on the Eye (and no, I don't have a shiner, that's just the perpetual dark circles under/around my eyes...sigh).


Here's another picture showing some of the view, which wasn't great due to grey skies and haze, and also the back of Carmen and me.


Another thing I've wanted to do for a long time is go to the Tower of London, so we did. It was really cool and I could've stayed for many hours. We did stay for about two hours and it was all fascinating and worth the effort. I highly recommend it. Yes, we saw the crown jewels and the great big diamond sceptre and all that, but the very building and history itself were far more interesting to me. So here's the obligatory photo of Scott and me in front of the main gate to the Tower. Not a good picture, which is WHY I NEVER POST ANY! :-)


Here's our Beefeater Yeoman Bob, who was our very awesome tour guide. The Beefeater Yeomans and all their families live in the Tower, and they have a doctor who lives on site as well, since they're all locked in from 10 pm every night. Their uniforms are very sharp and cost about 8000 pounds sterling (or was it 3000??), if I remember correctly.



Inside the tower are ravens, who are harbingers of doom (if they disappear), so they are taken care of well and live inside the Tower as well.


Scott was keen to see all the old weaponry stored in the old royal residence within the Tower. He took several pictures, but this one is the coolest.


Finally, the best views of Tower Bridge are from the Tower:


Outside the Tower, as we headed back to Carmen's place -- she has moved to a very, very cool neighborhood called Marylebone that is very central -- Scott snapped a photo of these dragons that mark the borders of the City of London (aka The Square Mile, or just The City), and caught the cool red bus in the background too.


Other less touristy things we did while there included wandering around Carmen's new neighborhood, eating full English breakfasts (which take you through dinner), shopping in nearby Bond and Oxford Streets, having a pedicure (me) at House of Fraser, going to sporting goods shops (Scott), buying shoes at Selfridges and a couple of other shops (can't find good shoes here, but London has loads!!), eating pub food, loading up at Boots, etc.

Thanks, Carmen, for having us all to stay! And thanks Liz and Martyn for coming down to join in! It was great fun, and you're all due to come here next!!!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO love the photos and the explanation of what you saw and experienced. I so wish I could do a fun vaca like that sometime soon.

Love it.

~Lis

13 June, 2008 21:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't mention the loo at the Tower of London. DId you see the Loo of the Year winner? It's worth the trip.

Srsly. ;)

Caroline

15 June, 2008 05:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You childless people and your gallivanting about. -grumble grumble- I'm afraid by the time I get to travel again, I'll be too old to have any fun. Sigh.

Seriously though, looks like a great trip. And what could be better than visiting Carmen?!?

15 June, 2008 09:16  
Blogger Elizabeth Thompson, Bradley McMasters, Sarah Parrish & Joseph Abken said...

Ugh. We look constipated. Lol! I must have been thinking about having to haul my bum up those 4 flights of stairs again... oy! :-)

15 June, 2008 11:13  
Blogger Heather Richardson said...

No need to squint! Just click on any picture and it is magically bigger on the screen.

GREAT PHOTOS!!!!! I love seeing you guys, thanks for posting them.

The trip looked FABULOUS! (a la Carmen) I'm so glad you got to go. I'm with JA, even a jaunt to Laguna for Father's Day dinner seems like a major undertaking, forget an actual VACATION!

Did you see any theatre???

I miss you Chelsea Girls!!

17 June, 2008 17:41  
Blogger Blue Cheese said...

That looks like a fantastic trip!! Is it possible to get homesick for a city in which one has never lived?

18 June, 2008 16:51  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Great post & pictures. LOVE those English breakfasts. We did the Tower of London with a one-year-old. Workable, but not exactly ideal. She often charmed us into places/situations we wouldn't have had a "pass" to otherwise.

18 June, 2008 18:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. These pics left me breathless. I now have to pay lots of scheckles to go see these places for myself.

2. Your husband is hawt.

3. You look so sophistocated -- like a real European.

4. I've prolly misspelled a few words.

- Phoebe

19 June, 2008 23:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home