Swiss cake rolls!
I have found it! A so-called "Swiss" thing from the US that is actually based in actual Swiss fact. And in the most yummy fact imaginable... The Little Debbie treat called Swiss Cake Rolls, beloved by junk food lovers throughout North America, have a basis in reality!
The Little Debbie version is lovely -- a thin chocolate cake layer rolled up with "creamy filling" and coated in waxy "chocolate" coating. Granted, they are full of nasty non-real ingredients, but that's why we love them, right? From the fridge or freezer, they are especially lovely.
But oh my oh my...the Little Debbies can't hold a candle to the real thing, which I found after only 3.5 years in this country. My only excuse is that I wasn't really looking. And that I almost never go to the bakery or the grocery stores (thanks, Scott!!!). But I found them last weekend on a quick grocery run with some friends, at a store we don't usually go to. "Schoggi Rolladen" they were called. All I could think was, SWISS CAKE ROLLS!! Unlike the Little Debbie version, these are freshly made and located in the bakery section -- which means they were most likely made that day, and will be sold and eaten that day. They have no shelf life.
So here's the drooly low-down: Thin light-brown chocolate cake layer (fresh and melt-in-your-mouth delicate) rolled around fresh cream filling (also lightly chocolate flavored -- just HINT o' chocolate), and then both ends (but not the middle) dunked in real, dark chocolate that is worthy of being called Swiss (ie, no wax to be found and it melts unctuously in your mouth...and in your hands -- thus you hold it in the middle). An absolutely yummy, tasty delight. Oh lordy, must not visit that store too often...
As for the mysteriously pedigreed "Swiss steak" found in the US of my youth? That still seems to have no basis in anything we've seen here. Fine by me -- I never liked it anyhow. :-)
The Little Debbie version is lovely -- a thin chocolate cake layer rolled up with "creamy filling" and coated in waxy "chocolate" coating. Granted, they are full of nasty non-real ingredients, but that's why we love them, right? From the fridge or freezer, they are especially lovely.
But oh my oh my...the Little Debbies can't hold a candle to the real thing, which I found after only 3.5 years in this country. My only excuse is that I wasn't really looking. And that I almost never go to the bakery or the grocery stores (thanks, Scott!!!). But I found them last weekend on a quick grocery run with some friends, at a store we don't usually go to. "Schoggi Rolladen" they were called. All I could think was, SWISS CAKE ROLLS!! Unlike the Little Debbie version, these are freshly made and located in the bakery section -- which means they were most likely made that day, and will be sold and eaten that day. They have no shelf life.
So here's the drooly low-down: Thin light-brown chocolate cake layer (fresh and melt-in-your-mouth delicate) rolled around fresh cream filling (also lightly chocolate flavored -- just HINT o' chocolate), and then both ends (but not the middle) dunked in real, dark chocolate that is worthy of being called Swiss (ie, no wax to be found and it melts unctuously in your mouth...and in your hands -- thus you hold it in the middle). An absolutely yummy, tasty delight. Oh lordy, must not visit that store too often...
As for the mysteriously pedigreed "Swiss steak" found in the US of my youth? That still seems to have no basis in anything we've seen here. Fine by me -- I never liked it anyhow. :-)
5 Comments:
Hi! Just me again....:-)
I just wanted to say how much I LOVE it when I discover a new snack, especially so far from home. In Thailand there was a Marks&Spencer kiosk in our mall, and I depended on them for Western CHOCOLATE snacks - I am so happy for you! Post a picture if you can, its worth a lot of words, even though your words were indeed drool-inducing. I may have to go to the store for a box of Little Debbie's Schoggi Rolladen...
I'm with Hev--picture please! Maybe figuring out a good recipe is a good project for my blog. ;)
Sounds fantastic! As you know, I've never been a huge fan of the waxy version, but the original sounds heavenly. Rich, chocolatey goodness . . . How well do you think they'd ship to Utah?
Mmmmm. Another item to add to my list of Things to Eat when we're there in October. The schoggi teddies are still around, too, aren't they?
schoggi rolladen
schoggi teddies
brie
basler leckerli
rosti
wienerschnitzel
raclette
fondue...
I think I'll bring all elastic waist pants.
Well, I went yesterday to buy some Schoggie Rolladen again, and they were sold out. :-( I didn't make it to the store till 5, and they close at 6. I will of course keep trying and will post a picture when I get one.
Yeah, SB -- they still have Schoggi Teddies, and they're still outrageous. There are also these lovely little tarts I like that have that same chocolate inside. Yum. Another one for your elastic-waist trousers list... ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home