15 April 2009

Gradual steps away from dorm decor

I said a while back that I have become fond of flea markets and "Brockenstube"s (I swear I mentioned it and someone [Jen?] commented that I should blog about it -- and now I can't find that anywhere...??). I'm never entirely sure what means what here, but as far as I can tell, these occupy a niche between charity or thrift shops, and actual antique shops. Given how much "older" Europe is than the US, there is a lot of really cool, really old stuff that is not really considered as "antique" here yet. I can spend hours looking around these places, especially as some of them have been around a long time and there are all sorts of nooks and crannies and intriguing items and bits all over the place.

I am not really one for buying souvenirs of a town or country, I usually buy a nice pair of shoes or handbag or piece of jewelry (my family is laughing at me as they read this) and then just enjoy the memory of when and where I bought it, as well as getting use out of it instead of having knick-knacks all over the place. But in the flea market and Brockenstubes, I have found some cool older things that have some character to them. A tray from an old confiserie, a little sterling dish with the city's emblem on it, a cool old beer stein. Not trying to fill the house with them, but a few things are nice to have.

At a sort of charity shoppy-antique-y place a couple of months back, I bought this massive set of dishes (some nice old Bavarian brand, can't remember what it's called):


In case it's not visible, there is a dark green and gold trim on them. They are lovely and quite formal. And when will I use them?? They were a good deal...and it benefited charity... :-)

The other thing we recently acquired at a Brockenstube is this cabinet:


It's from around 1910, and is in "Jugendstil" design -- basically arts and crafts. I really fell for it when I first saw it, then I made Scott go look at it, then I went back and it was still there -- so it was destiny. We had some, um, challenges for the delivery guys trying to get it up our stairs, but in the end we won. This cabinet is also a very welcome change from the huge metal shelving unit we've had in the living room for five years now. It really warms up the room. And I think the kajillion DVDs we have inside it really add to its charm.

In case anyone's wondering about the prices at these places -- well, there really is a range, but things are surprisingly well-priced (especially for a place where everything is so expensive). I don't know if you will think this is a good deal or not, but I got it for 1100 Sfr (delivery was another 200, which is actually pretty good). To put that in context, my behemoth of a metal and fiberboard Ikea wardrobe cost more than that. The dishes were about 300 Sfr I think? One mug from the Finnish dishes I love is 28 Sfr.

So these shops are a bit dangerous, I can't just hang out there. And we certainly don't have room in our apartment for much stuff! So I save it for every now and then...and practice looking but not buying. I'm actually much better at it than most of you would believe. ;-)

A while back, in this post, I included a picture of me fondling a statue. I forgot to explain it -- or did I? I can't tell if I'm missing posts and/or comments, or just my mind...? Anyhow, that's a statue of Juliet (of "Romeo & " fame) in Verona, Italy. It's supposed to be good luck to rub her breast. I'm not superstitious or anything, but I did find the COOLEST pair of shoes in Verona on that trip, and they were on sale for half price, AND THEY HAD THEM IN MY SIZE. And they fit. I'm telling you, Juliet did me right.

6 Comments:

Blogger Strollerblader said...

Oooh, I love the cabinet! Where is your TV now? (And where is your flippen WEBCAM already?!?!?!)
Those are pretty dishes, too. See, shopping secondhand still gives you the rush of shopping!

We keep seeing these ridiculously low flight prices to Europe and are having to almost use duct tape to keep from jumping on a plane to visit you for a couple weeks. ($770 R/T RNO to BSL!!!)

Can't you hear Tahoe calling you?!? Or maybe Disneyland the first week of December?!?

16 April, 2009 18:53  
Blogger Strollerblader said...

That flight price includes all the taxes and airport fees. That is almost half of what we paid in October!

16 April, 2009 18:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love the cabinet!

20 April, 2009 05:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap, just read Strollerblader's comments and realized I repeated her comment verbatim, down to the same number of o's. Embarrassing.

20 April, 2009 05:14  
Blogger Strollerblader said...

Next thing you know, Adriana, we'll show up to the same event in the same dress. ;o) (Of course, you'll look 10 times better in it than me!)

20 April, 2009 06:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I love that Schrank!! :)

Back when I was a penniless visitor to Germany, I fell in love with Schranks. I would have sold my soul to own that. I would have preferred it over having any furniture at all. I still want it.

Phoebe

06 May, 2009 03:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home