04 April 2009

swiss steak?!

Does everyone else already know this? Am I the last to learn??

I've actually found evidence of Swiss cake rolls and Swiss buttercream, but Swiss steak?? Never a sign of anything even a little bit like it.


So today I learn...the "Swiss" shouldn't have a capital S; rather, "swissing" refers to a fabric-softening process that involves prolonged bashing.

Wow.

Oh, and apparently braising it in acid for a long time breaks it down even further.


I have no comment on why something involving acid and a lot of bashing -- and which beats a tough piece of meat into
fork-tender, edible submission -- would be associated with the Swiss. No, no, I'm certain it's all just a big coinkydink.

Enjoy your swiss steak, people. But I hope you remember what it's been through.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem,

http://whatimadefordinner.blogspot.com/2007/04/swiss-steak-with-mojo-sauce.html

We still love and use that little pot, by the way!

06 April, 2009 04:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOLOL...I even commented on that post, and yet it's still like new info to me. It's one of the upsides of having no memory, everything's always NEWS!! :-)

Well, let the record show that Adriana told me about swissing first. Though she neglected all the juicy details about beatings and acid and how they had to do with Switzerland. Which is a totally TRUE part of the story. ;-)

Tee hee.

- Di

06 April, 2009 09:22  
Blogger Blue Cheese said...

I grew up with Swiss steak. In fact, it was one of my "birthday dinners" mom would make. An old family recipe. I wonder if we have Swiss heritage . . .

07 April, 2009 06:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom could never get me to eat it. And now excuse me, I feel a little sick...
- Phoebe

10 April, 2009 06:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home