04 October 2007

this AmeriSwiss life

I love This American Life, and I always have a number of them on my iPod, for my short tram commutes. They are like sweet little audio anti-depressants. No kidding - when I'm in a cranky work-related mood (not that that ever happens), a little jaunt home with TAL playing in my ears, and I'm a new woman. It's often laugh-out-loud funny (I no longer care if people think I'm some kind of freak for laughing on the tram) and sometimes makes me tear up; it is almost always a spiritual experience.
The best audio content ever. Full stop.
Has anyone ever watched the television version from Showtime? How is it?
(Btw, this one's dedicated to you, Hevans. :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Hevans introduced me to TAL. I was never a stop-everything-to-listen listener, but I had more than a few driveway moments when I HAD to wait until the end of the segment to get out of the car.

May have to start listening to podcasts, as the closest station airing TAL is in San Antonio.

05 October, 2007 17:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched one (the first?) episode with a Mo connection at a friend's house (we don't have Showtime). It was good. Different than radio.

06 October, 2007 01:38  
Blogger Heather Richardson said...

Ahhhh, thank you Swizzies! I’m happy if you think of me when you hear TAL, especially if it is making your day a bit brighter. (audio anti-depressants, great line!)
I still try to listen as often as possible, and thanks to the magic of podcasting my brother, sister and I listened to Ira and friends a lot as we roadtripped through the desolation of Wyoming this summer. I hope to catch the TV show on DVD sometime soon, as we also do not have Showtime (although another of their series, Dexter, is a current favorite rental of mine!)

And ME I remember you bravely babysitting our four-month-old twins when Peter and I went to the TAL broadcast live at UCLA. I’m glad you became a convert as well!

thanks for posting your devotion to this Di, and as always I’ll tune in next time, for more stories from This AmeriSwiss Life.

06 October, 2007 06:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home